Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Birthday!!


Today is my birthday and I am 32. Patrick is 32 minus 27 minutes. In 27 minutes, he'll find out how awesome being my age is.
This morning we went to Chic fil A for chicken biscuits that were FREE! Yay! Even Amy tried one out. We shredded up a mini biscuit and a chicken nugget and she ate the whole thing. Not so good for her, maybe, but she liked it and she ate it well.

Today the high is 101. That seems like a really really high temperature and I know I should be pissed about it, but somehow it feels different today. For one thing, I doubt it will actually hit 101 (more like 98 or something). But it's also my birthday. My birthday has always seemed to be a transition for the weather as well as a transition to a new age. Back in Georgia, September 6th is still plenty hot, but you can juuuuust start to think about needing sleeves at night. The pool is just a little too cold to swim in all day. It took a long time to adjust to the climate here, but now I'm noticing the same thing about my birthday in Tucson. Today, even though the temperature is enough to make you consider a move to northern Michigan, the light has changed. The smell has changed. Summer is dying at last and soon fall will be here. It's even cloudy and raining (thunder a minute ago!). From the safety of the AC you could pretend to need the new school jeans, or appreciate the ubiquity of pumpkin flavored food that seems to be popping up everywhere. Soon, we can turn the cooler down to "low" and after that we might even consider eating soup.
I've always thought of my birthday as being in the Fall, and maybe this is why. I LOVE the fall and I love the promise of cooler weather and more time outside (and football???). My birthday is the end of the ordeal of summer. I made it. It was tough. I bitched a lot. I learned a little. Now it's time to really buckle down into a new semester, a new school year, a new age. Ahhh.
Here's to birthdays!
The end of being 31 and the beginning of being 32!

2 comments: