Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Lizzie's Strawberry Scones



I was reading a book that Rob's Grandma gave me called Castaways of the Flying Dutchman

It's about a boy and his dog and their adventures. Most of the story takes place in a tiny English town in the late 1800's. They drink a lot of tea and eat a lot of food at tea time that involves butter. Well, I like tea and I like butter, so I was pretty much hungry the whole time I was reading it. Soooo, I learned to make scones. This is probably not how you're supposed to make them or how they are supposed to taste, but Amy and I like them.




Strawberry Scones

2 cups self rising flour
2 tbsp butter cut into the flour
3-4 big strawberries diced into little bits
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
(1 egg)
pinch of cinnamon

I mixed all that together like biscuit dough and then put it on a buttered dish and baked it at 350 until it was just barely beginning to brown on top. We ate them hot with butter, of course.
The first time I made them I didn't use the egg, the second time I did. I think the egg made a more scone-y texture, but it was yummier without it. I didn't use any sugar because the yogurt is already sweet.



The first time I baked them in little triangles. This time I plopped the dough down in a big square and cut it up afterwards. They worked the same.
Amy liked eating "stones" for lunch. She gets her butter on the inside. I like mine smeared on top.

4 comments:

  1. Come to Dallas and make "stones" here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Amy said at Grandma's, "Sounds good to me!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe is very easy with the self-rising flour. I saw some with egg and without and with cranberries or blueberries and a lot with buttermilk. Your looks just as nice and probably better with fresh strawberries!

    ReplyDelete