Monday, March 25, 2013

Maters

Guess where it isn't already in the 90's? Guess where the soil is black and rich? Guess who lives in zone 6? There are plants in my yard that just grow there without anybody forcing them to do it. There's this stuff they call grass!!! I CAN HAVE PLANTS!!!

So I'm going to plant a garden.  A container garden. Our yard is pretty little. I don't have a whole plan just yet, but apparently that's ok. The guy at the feed store said our last frost day is May 10th. WHAT?! I laughed at him. In Tucson, May 10th is long since summer and could be 100 degrees.
So, it's too cold to plant outside yet, so I'm starting some TOMATOES!!!! inside.  I tried tomatoes in Tucson, but the vines just withered and burned despite watering 3x a day and sitting in partial shade. Here, I'm starting with just one packet of Brandywine tomatoes to see how they do. The package said they are delicious and I'm into delicious things.

I started with a tray with 3 seeds in each hole.

On the advice of my mentor, farmer May, I moved them on top of the fridge and they sprouted.

So I added lights.

mmmm. warm and cozy.
I was thinking of using this cool idea my friend Dan came up with. He lives here in Boise and has a great garden and even manages to grow food indoors in the winter. He used these subwatering planters in his living room this winter and grew kitchen herbs. He made them himself and has plans I can follow too. He's got a pretty green thumb, he has fruit trees INSIDE and they produce fruit. I'm thinking planters like these may even allow me to grow zucchini.

Dan's interior pot farm herb garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment