Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Nearly made it


This is it. 


This is the end. The very last of the cinnamon chips I've been carefully doling out since last winter. These glorious little flavor nuggets are only available during November and December in my grocery store, and even then, they're often sold out. I bought all that I could reasonably store and hoarded them like a dragon hoards gold coins. I baked a few bags into cookies. I put some in muffins. Yum. Once, in July, I allowed myself to open up a bag and nibble a few chips raw.
Last week, I baked the very last of them. I made the Toll House recipe and added cinnamon chips instead of chocolate chips. They were as good as ever.
So here's the hitch. It's mid-October. The weather is still hot, but the stores know that fall is coming. Halloween candy is everywhere. I've seen candy canes (candy canes?! ugh) on the shelves.
Where are my cinnamon chips? I took a gamble and used up my stash knowing, nay, depending on Fry's to restock them in their festive center aisle of baking bliss.
I may or may not have spoken with the store manager recently.
Am I embarrassed? Ok, yes, a little. But dude, those things are good!
What Autumnal foods are you looking forward to? Is there anything that you're willing to stalk the grocery store for? Any hoards of mint m&m's under your bed?

9 comments:

  1. We'll keep an eye out around here.
    I used to look forward to Nabisco Spiced Wafers but they don't seem to make them anymore. They were really kinda hard but oh so delicious.
    Of course who doesn't look forward to all those mini Halloween candies that you managed to end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peppermint mocha. Duh.

    Did you find any? Because I saw them last week in the center baking aisle at Albertsons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are spiced wafers like purple Necco? I pretend every year that we get a lot of trick-or-treaters. Peppermint Mocha is the BEST. You saw cinnamon chips at Albertsons or mochas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinnamon chips! No mochas...though they do have Christmas trees up in KaMeApaRT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kameapart! That's funny. Mom, I checked. Spiced wafers do not exist but you can buy old packs on ebay. Which is gross.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marge - have you tried Anna's Cookies? They are the PERFECT gingersnaps and they look like flowers. And sometimes they come in orange flavor. Look on the cookie shelf with the fancy pants cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the suggestion Ashley. I'll look for them. Oh and Lizzie, Dad checked 3 different stores yesterday for you chips.
    No joy. Don't worry, he'll keep looking until he finds some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so nice! I know if Dad is looking I'll soon have them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lizzie, now that I've read this, I will probably check the baking isle every single time I enter the grocery store for the next couple of months. I LOVE cinnamon (and am slightly allergic to it, but that doesn't stop me...). I'll let you know if I find some!

    ReplyDelete