Thursday, October 13, 2011

A T-shirt becomes a nightgown

I have this blue shirt that I really like, but that doesn't fit so well. It is a little wide in the neck and a little boxy everywhere else. The color is too pretty to just get rid of, so I did a few modifications and in the time it took to watch one episode of 30 Rock, Amy had a new nightgown. 

First, I turned it inside out and sewed the underarm a little narrower and sewed the side seams into more of an A-line shape. It is still wide, but comes in under the arms much more now. Then I zig-zagged over that hem so it wouldn't fray.


Then, I loaded elastic thread into the bobbin. I sewed around the neckline a few times, making a ruffled collar. 
I also sewed two rows of elastic gathering about an inch in from the end of each sleeve. This makes it fit her little arms better and adds some interest to the sleeves.


It is tough to get a picture of her, but you can sort of see how it turned out here. 
It's pretty cute, and I bet it's really comfy. She's wearing it over her clothes, so it looks a little weird.


She seems to like it. 

I think she kind of looks like a 19th century surgeon.




2 comments: